Real Property Report (RPR) Frequently Asked Questions

Land Surveys     Construction    Geomatics

An Alberta Land Surveyors' Real Property Report is a plan that illustrates the survey performed by the professional land surveyor showing what is and what is not on a parcel of land at the time of survey. A Real Property Report (or RPR) is necessary to determine compliance with municipal bylaws. A RPR clearly identifies any improvements on the land and relates such improvements to the legal boundaries of the parcel including any charges on the land as indicated on the certificate of title.

Per Part D Section 8.4 of the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association (ALSA) Manual of Standard Practice, the real property report shall show, but not limited to:

  •   All improvements on the parcel
  •   Nature of each improvement
  •   Any existing encroachment and the amount of encroachment
  •   Dimensions and bearings of each boundary of the parcel
  •   Survey monuments found and used to define the boundary of the parcel
  •   All utility rights-of-way and easements that affect the extent of title
  •   All other surface interest affecting the extent of title

Who needs a real property report?

An Alberta Land Surveyors' Real Property Report serves a valuable purpose in any real estate transaction as it proactively identifies any issues that might be of concern not only for buyers and sellers but also for the finance / mortgage institutions, insurance companies and the affected neighbours as well.

According the  Alberta Land Surveyor’s Association website, real property reports are need by:

Property owners, to be informed of:

  1. The locations of improvements within the property boundaries.
  2. Any encroachments from adjacent properties.
  3. Property compliance with municipal requirements.

Property Purchasers, to be informed of:

  1. The boundary and improvement locations on the property.
  2. Any problems relating to the property boundaries.
  3. Any outstanding charges on the land and property.

Municipalities, to assist them:

  1. In determining compliance with bylaws and fire codes.
  2. In the planning and development process.

Property Sellers (vendors), to provide:

  1. Protection from potential future legal liabilities resulting from problems related to property boundaries and improvements.

Mortgage Lenders, to be informed of:

  1. Conformance of improvements with municipal bylaws.
  2. Problems that may have to be resolved prior to registration of the mortgage

Realtors, to:

  1. Provide a visual representation of the property for sale.
  2. Meet requirements of the real estate listing/purchase contract.
  3. Have information to avoid delays in completing property transactions when a Real Property Report is arranged early in the sales process.

Do you need a real property report?

If you are looking to get a Real Property Report and need it fast, give us a call and we'll be glad to assist you. We have an extensive experience in providing Real Property Reports in and around Metro Edmonton to include Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Leduc, St. Albert, Sherwood Park as well as Parkland County, Sturgeon County, Leduc County and Strathcona County.

How much does a RPR cost?

The cost of a real property report varies. As most jobs depend greatly on the time spent on the field by the survey crew, perhaps the most time-consuming part of the fieldwork is locating the legal boundaries of the parcel.  The availability of governing evidence relies on the age of the subdivision, development in the area, terrain, tree cover, etc. and the extent of search that is needed to establish / re-establish the subject parcels' legal limits. The size of the lot and the number of structures within them also affects the price as more complex properties tend to take more time than a simple ones. 

 To have a better idea, contact us for a free quote. Keep in mind that a RPR is only a small portion of your total investment and can help avoid facing costly problems later on.

When will I need a new or updated RPR?

In essence, it is a good idea to have an updated RPR when performing any real estate transactions - selling a house, acquiring a mortgage, etc. Oftentimes, the City or town's planning department would also require one when you decide to do some renovations / additions on your property when you apply for permits. Keep in mind that a RPR is a snapshot of what is or isn't on your property so an update would be necessary should you need one. To keep the cost down, it is a good idea to contact the surveyor who did the original survey as they, depending on the age of the last survey, might still have your file and an update would be a simpler task rather than hiring a new surveyor who would need to do the whole process over again.